Grand Prix & Grand Arguments



Monaco Grand Prix
Marc by Marc Jacobs


His

Her

The Experience

 
Nice to Monaco Winding Roads, and Monaco's Formula 1 Grand Prix 

His Perspective
We had a whirlwind visit to Monaco ahead, with one day to experience the Grand Prix, as we had a flight to Portugal in time for the Champions League Final.

Our previous visit to the French Riviera saw us hire a scooter and take to the superb winding roads between Nice and Monaco. This time, with luggage in tow, we needed a car, so we hired a Citroen C4, and made the journey once again. Having been the pilot on the scooter, I missed most of the views along the coastal drive, so this time Farah would be the driver. It turned out to be… scary.

Flipping the steering wheel from the right to the left is a challenging task, and provided some hair raising moments. I tried to help as best I could, with advice on spacing and direction, but this was not greatly appreciated by the driver. I think men out there should weigh up the pros and cons of the situation: sometimes an expensive insurance claim might be less damaging than the icy reception of a woman taking driving instructions?

From Citroen to Ferrari, the pace changed tremendously when we stopped in at the Monaco F1. I’d never been to an F1 event, and Monaco is the pinnacle of F1. It’s not hard to see why, with the street course cutting through the iconic city, and the bay lined with super yachts, it’s a spectacular assault on the senses. Unfortunately the new V6 turbo’s don’t sound like the old screaming V10’s, but nevertheless, the sound and speed of the cars is staggering.

Thank you Monaco for another great visit, and thank you Farah for not causing too much havoc on the roads.

For Monaco Grand Prix 2015 details, click here.




 



Her Perspective
Since arriving in Europe, Tiago had been commenting on how crazy all the cars on the sidewalk were parked bumper to bumper. He is horrible at parallel parking, traumatised by one of our first dates where before dinner he had scratched his rims on his new GTI. Safe to say, that date went horribly as he sulked in annoyance at himself the whole night. I, on the other hand, am a pretty skilled parker if I say so myself. So with all that in mind, I agreed to be the driver the next few days. Little did I know getting into the driver’s seat that I would be tormented by back seat driver syndrome!

I love driving manual, and saw the left hand drive on the amazing winding roads between Nice and Monaco a fun challenge, but as soon as I started enjoying the drive, the nagging started. "Stick to the right. Slow down. You're too close on my side". I know now his intentions were to help, but with every remark my anger was bubbling to the edge. In my head I was screaming out "Why don't you drive then!!!!!!!!” I made snappy remarks back, but the turning point was when he, yes Mr ‘I can't parallel park’, started chiming in as I parked. It took every ounce of energy to bite my tongue and as I turned the engine off I pushed him out the car, shut the doors and sat in silence. I'm not one to meditate, I've never done yoga, but wow that really helped. I'm unsure how long I was in there drowning out his knocks on the window but it felt like hours and really allowed the anger to melt. I've never done that before. But maybe couples traveling in such close proximity, should try it.

We arrived in Monaco to the drones of racing cars buzzing. I wasn't really excited about this leg of the trip, watching cars whiz by seems so mundane. But I'll admit the sounds were mesmerizing, as you get closer they were whizzing louder and louder, add the fact that Monaco do a good job of blocking all the streets from non paying eyes, really makes you want to see the action. We grabbed our tickets and found our grandstand seats. It wasn't mundane at all, it was quite exciting to watch the race, although, I'll be honest I spent 20% of my time watching the race. 80% of the time split between enjoying the Monaco backdrop, and watching the glamorous spectators.

The Brand
Marc by Marc Jacobs
His & Her Marc by Marc Jacob Sunglasses

His Perspective
Marc sunglasses do a great job of providing design and brand for an affordable price. Where many brands are now charging ridiculous amounts for what is essentially some plastic and metal that sits on your face, Marc by Marc Jacobs brings some honesty to the market.

These glasses are both versatile and aren’t too crazy like some of the newer frames out there. There are enough details with the curved cut outs in Farah’s glasses, and the purple gradient in mine to keep it fresh. More importantly the price makes you not cringe too much when you inevitably cram them in your bag or end up stepping on them. 




Her Perspective
I find it really difficult to shop sunglasses, Tiago's the best at it, he knows how to pick them. These Marc’s pair was picked out by him, I was unsure about them at first but fell in love quickly with the scalloped edge, the tortoise shell frames, and gradient lenses. We bought Tiago’s pair at the same time, a real classic grey with gradient lenses too. He’s lucky though, unlike me, all sunglasses suit him.

Check out Marc by Marc Jacob’s new eyewear collection here.


 

 

About Us

"She is my inspiration and He is my life manager"
We are newlyweds. This blog is a His & Her Perspective on our travels and experiences.

Follow Us on Instagram